The B.G. Thompson, Jr., Fund was created in 2012 for undergraduate majors and graduate students within the Department of Russian and Slavic Studies. The purpose of the fund is to assist students in defraying costs of study-abroad programs in Russia, Eastern Europe or Eurasia or intensive-language study in the US. The fund was established to honor the memory of Tucson attorney and appraiser B.G. Thompson, Jr., whose daughter studied in and received her Master’s from the UA’s Department of Russian and Slavic Studies. Mr. Thompson was a welcoming host and friend to Russians he met in Tucson, and he continually encouraged his daughter over the course of her career in the Soviet Union and post-Soviet Russia.
The competitive Russian and Slavic Studies B.G. Thompson, Jr. Study Abroad Award Fund benefits UA undergraduate students who are declared majors in Russian and Slavic Studies and graduate students in the Russian and Slavic Studies MA program.
An award of $1,500.00, to an undergraduate Russian major or to an MA Russian and Slavic Studies graduate student, may be awarded to participate in a UA approved study or internship abroad program in Russia, Eastern Europe, or Eurasia OR at intensive Russian or Slavic language summer study in the US during 2018.
Russian Department alumni, members of the community, and other UA faculty members, are encouraged to donate to the B. G. Thompson, Jr., Fund.
Who Can Apply?:
- A statement of intent (1-2 pages describing why you deserve and qualify for this award and how you plan to use it) including current cumulative GPA;
- A letter of recommendation from supporting faculty member;
- Applicants should have at least one academic year in residency left at UA before graduation at time of application;
- Must be a declared major in Russian and Slavic Studies or be a Russian and Slavic Studies MA student. Recipients must use the award during 2018. Statement of intent and letter of recommendation must be submitted electronically or in hard copy, no later than November 15, 2017, 4pm, to Holly Lysne firstname.lastname@example.org, third floor Learning Services Building, 621-7385/621-9241
Process and Selection
- The B.G. Thompson, Jr. Study Abroad Award Fund Selection Committee announces a call for applications every fall semester. The Selection Committee reviews applications and meets in person once to make a final selection. In any given year, the Selection Committee may decide not to give any award. Awards are announced in early December.
Note that receiving the award will be contingent upon acceptance and enrollment in a UA approved study or internship abroad program or an intensive summer language study program in the US.
- At least 1 Year of Russian
- 3.0 General GPA
- Full-time Student
- Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Graduate Student
- Russian and Slavic Studies Major or Graduate Student in the Russian and Slavic Studies MA Program
Value of Scholarship:
Executive Committee (Internal)
Number of Awards: