The B.G. Thompson, Jr., Fund was created in 2012 for undergraduate majors and graduate students within the Department of Russian and Slavic Languages. The purpose of the fund is to assist students in defraying costs of study-abroad programs in Russia and intensive-language study in the US. The fund was established to honor the memory of Tucson attorney and appraiser B.G. Thompson, Jr., whose daughter studied in and received her Master’s from the UA’s Department of Russian and Slavic Studies. Mr. Thompson was a welcoming host and friend to Russians he met in Tucson, and he continually encouraged his daughter over the course of her career in the Soviet Union and post-Soviet Russia.
The competitive Russian and Slavic Studies B.G. Thompson, Jr. Study Abroad Award Fund benefits UA undergraduate students who are declared majors in Russian and Slavic Studies and MA in Russian graduate students.
Up to two awards of $1,500.00 each, one to an undergraduate Russian major and one to an MA Russian graduate student may be awarded in the spring 2013 to participate in a UA approved study or internship abroad program in Russia, Eastern Europe, or Eurasia OR at intensive Russian or Slavic language summer study in the US.
Contributions: Suzanne Thompson Eanes and the Department of Russian and Slavic Studies created the Fund and have pledged to contribute annually to its maintenance and growth.
Russian Department alumni, members of the community, and other UA faculty members, are encouraged to donate to the B. G. Thompson, Jr., Fund.
Who Can Apply?:
- A statement of intent (1-2 pages describing why you deserve and qualify for this award and how you plan to use it) including current cumulative GPA;
- TWO letters of recommendation from supporting faculty members;
- Complete an online application to study abroad on a UA approved study or internship abroad program at studyabroad.arizona.edu OR show evidence of a completed application to an intensive summer language study program in the US.
- Applicants should have at least one academic year in residency left at UA before graduation at time of application;
- Must be a declared major in Russian and Slavic Studies or be an MA in Russian student. Recipients must use the award the summer, fall, and/or spring immediately following date of the award. Please submit statement of intent, letter of recommendation, and complete your online application for study or internship abroad program no later than February 28, 2013, 5pm, to Holly Lysne firstname.lastname@example.org) Learning Services Building 621-7385/621-9241
Process and Selection
- The B.G. Thompson, Jr. Study Abroad Award Fund Selection Committee announces a call for applications every academic year in early January. The Selection Committee reviews applications and meets in person once, no later than Friday, March 1, to make a final selection. The Selection Committee decides on the final number of awards based on the Fund’s balance and on the quality of applications. On any given year, the Selection Committee may decide not to give any award. Awards are announced in early March.
UA Russian and Slavic Studies Study Abroad programs:
Arizona in Russia
summer, semester, and academic year programs in Moscow and St. Petersburg
Fall: June 15
Spring: Nov 1
Summer: Mar 15
Arizona in Ukraine
semester program in Kharkov, Ukraine
Application deadline: April 15
See Global Initiatives website at STUDYABROAD.ARIZONA.EDU for full information
- 1 Year of Russian, 2 Years of Russian, 3 Years of Russian, 4 Years of Russian
- 3.0 General GPA
- Full-time Student
- Full-time Graduate Student
- Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior
- Russian and Slavic Studies Major
Value of Scholarship:
$1,500 each for 1 undergrad RSSS major and 1 RSSS grad student
Executive Committee (Internal)
Number of Awards: