Call for Applications: Diversity Initiative in Russian and Slavic Studies
Fully Funded Scholarships to Russia, May 2020
Application Deadline: December 20, 2019
The University of Arizona Department of Russian and Slavic Studies invites applications from current UA undergraduates majoring or minoring in Russian to participate in a fully funded trip to Russia May 16-30, 2019. Made possible thanks to a generous grant from the US Russian Foundation, this trip is intended to support students from underrepresented populations in their study of Russian language, literature, and culture. Three undergraduates from UA will travel together with students from Howard University and University of Puerto Rico to take part in an immersive cultural experience in Moscow, St. Petersburg, and Novgorod. Funding for visa support, airfare, ground transportation, lodging, and some meals will be provided.
Undergraduates selected for the competitive award will take part in two weeks of cultural immersion. In addition to visiting major sites of cultural importance (Moscow: Red Square, St. Basil’s, the Kremlin, Cathedral of Christ the Savior; St. Petersburg: The Hermitage, Church on Spilt Blood; Peter and Paul Fortress) students will tour leading academic institutions in Russia.
We will consider applications from all UA students majoring or minoring in Russian, and we strongly encourage students of color to apply.
Interested applicants should submit:
1. Undergraduate transcript (unofficial transcript is acceptable)
2. A statement of intent, 1-2 pages answering the following:
- Why diversity matters to you personally
- Why you wish to participate in this study abroad opportunity and how you would benefit from it
- What are some of the ways you think diversity could be promoted, either in Russian and Slavic Studies or in our community more broadly.
Application deadline is December 20, 2019.
Email your application materials to:
Dr. Colleen Lucey firstname.lastname@example.org